Thursday, November 5, 2015

Getting the News Out

I have looked at newspapers, read articles about parades, theater reviews and the war. It was very confusing. The stories never just took over one full page. Half of a story starts on  page 1 then jumps to page 4. A theater review would start on page 2 then also jumps to page 4. WHY?? It was like trying to read a story printed on a Rubik's cube, or find an exit on a highway with no GPS and name tag sized signs. The instruction was easy to miss.  I found that I lost interest very quickly. Im sure they were easier to read before they went from page to packet. I do like the single pages of lost and found, Obituaries and local Churches.

My first suggestion to fix this is to put one story to a page, it would be nice to read it like a book, not broken up. I like that it is rolled up the way it is, very creative.


My other suggestion would be to include any conversations or discussions that people have started when the news first came out. It would give another side or maybe answer questions reader have. Twitter is one of the first places people will learn the news. I would think that there would be some interesting comments to put in the paper for those who don't use Twitter or FB.



Topic 2

After looking through weeks of papers, we (my mom and I) had found that the topics that is most important but hasn't been touched on much is the hurricane in Mexico and the supposed earthquake that is supposed to hit our coast and supposedly wipe us out.

Front page Oct 27th
The article in the Albany Democrat Herald says
Article #2 Tsumani-vulnerable towns grapple with saving lives.
Cascadia subduction zone
600 mile long fault
hasn't quaked since 1700

There is also an article in the Oregon quarterly magazine of the UofO alumni, written in the summer of 2015. Its about geophysicists who are studying the Cascadia subduction zone. They say that their latest results should be available soon. They say we need an early warning system, The paper says we should get tsunami towers.

Overall, I am not impressed by how little they talk about a deadly storm. Its like they are saying, we might die from this so, theres nothing left to talk about. No offense. This is just my take, but Im not a professional journalist, so what do I know lol!

2 comments:

  1. Rose,
    I agree when you say that the newspapers often resemble rubic's cubes when trying to find the article that you want to read. Instead of making a preview into the whole newspaper and making people figure out where page 4c is, they should just run full articles on the front page or fill it with pictures to lure people in.

    ReplyDelete